Broken Shore Summer 2012
The newest issue of This Broken Shore is out with some great writing in it….
- an essay by editor of This Broken Shore, Daniel Weeks, about his Musings on Middle School…
- Poetry by Michael Waters, Gregg Glory, Matthew V. Spano, Daniel Weeks, Emmanuel di Pasquale, and more….
- A short story by writer, Carrie P. Hudak
- and even a poem by Robert Pinsky, a long branch native and friend of the editors….
- Also in the issue is a piece from the editors of The Idiom, Mark Brunetti
“Walking in a Field with my Friend Evan” by Mark Brunetti
I was walking in a field in my backyard
with my friend Evan
and if there’s anything he knows, it’s
alot about birds.
And he explains only the interesting
things about the birds
like the mourning dove and how
the sound it makes
is actually coming from its wings,
not its throat.
or the Grackle whom can make
two different sounds
at the same time,
who gets all excited before singing
puffing out its wings
and breast spazing uncontrollably.
We talked of Wallace Stevens
his 13 ways to describe
And than we finally decided
that every bird has a poem to it
especially the robin
who jumps around
making it sound
to the surface only to face
their inevitable fate
being pulled from the ground
that keeps them alive.
I’m not sure how one finds an issue of This Broken Shore, but I’m sure if you try hard enough you can get one somewhere, submit your own work, and perhaps appear in the next issue…..